Results and certificates
Practical Grades, Performance Grades and ARSM
All candidates receive a mark form giving a breakdown of the marks awarded for each section of the exam along with comments from the examiner. Candidates who pass their exam also receive a certificate.
We will email applicants, and candidates (parents/carers) who have an account, when their results and mark forms are available to view online.
- For applicants, this will usually be within a week of the exam for face-to-face Practical Grades and ARSM, and within a week of the submission deadline for remotely-assessed Performance Grades and ARSM, subject to our quality assurance checks.
- For candidates (parents/carers) with an account, this will be seven days after we have released results to the applicant.
- Applicants also have the option to release an earlier email to candidates to tell them that their results are ready to view.
We will post printed certificates to our local Representative(s) who will distribute these certificates to the person who made the entry. For Performance Grade exams, certificates should be received within 3 months from the end of the exam session.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to pass mark forms and certificates to the candidate.
Music Theory exam results
All Music Theory exam candidates receive a mark form giving a breakdown of the marks awarded for each question as well as the total number of marks. For Online Music Theory exams these are digital mark forms and can be accessed via an applicant or candidate’s online account. Candidates who pass their exam also receive a certificate.
We will email applicants, and candidates (parents/carers) who have an account, when their Music Theory results are available to view online.
- For applicants, this will be approximately four weeks after the exam date, subject to our quality assurance checks.
We will post printed certificates to our local Representative(s) once the exam session has ended. The Representative will then distribute certificates to the person who made the entry.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to pass mark forms and certificates to the candidate. We do not return Music Theory exam papers after marking.
Prep Test and Performance Assessment
There are no marks are awarded for these assessments. Instead, examiners write certificates giving comments during the exam and hand these to performers at the end of their assessment.
Diplomas - DipABRSM, LRSM, FRSM
All diploma candidates receive a paper mark form giving a breakdown of the marks awarded for each section of the exam, along with comments from the examiner. Candidates who pass their exam also receive a certificate. Before issuing, we send all diploma results and mark forms for review and ratification by our diploma committees. This process is a vital part of our quality assurance procedure and may take up to three months. Once we have ratified a result, we will post the mark form and certificate to the applicant.
Viewing exam results
We will email you when your results are ready to view. To view results:
- Log in to your account.
- Go to ‘My previous exams’ at the bottom of the page.
- Where results are available, you will see the total mark next to each candidate.
- For practical exams, you will also see a mark form icon.
- Click on the icon to view and download the PDF form.
- Where results are not yet available, you will see ‘Pending’ next to a candidate’s exam. We will email you when these results are ready to view.
Downloading multiple mark forms
Applicants with more than one practical candidate can either download each mark form as an individual PDF or download multiple marks forms within one PDF. To download multiple mark forms as one PDF:
- Go to ‘My previous exams’.
- Complete the ‘Results from / to’ dates and the ‘Venue name’ to show which group of results you want to download.
- Click ‘Download mark forms’.
Releasing results to candidates
Once we’ve released a result to an applicant, they can immediately generate an email to tell candidates (parents/carers) that their results are ready to view.
- Go to ‘My previous exams’.
- Click ‘Release to candidate’ next to a result.
- If the candidate (parent/carer) has an ABRSM account, they will receive an email letting them know that they can log in and view their result.
- If the candidate (parent/carer) does not have an ABRSM account, this will prompt the applicant to supply an email address for the candidate. The candidate will then receive an email inviting them to set up an account and view their result.
Quality assurance checks
Sometimes we send results for additional checking and moderation, which may delay their release. We aim to issue results as quickly as we can, while providing the highest possible standards of assessment.
In the exam room
All examiners use our examiner app to deliver and mark practical exams.
- During the exam, examiners use an iPad to complete mark forms.
- The app will automatically audio record exams, providing us with recordings to help with quality assurance, examiner training and enquiries about results.
- Audio recording happens automatically and will not disturb or interrupt the exam in any way.
- Recordings are for internal use only so won’t be available to applicants or candidates.
- All iPads used by our examiners are supplied and set up by ABRSM, with the camera function disabled.